Superintendent Willie R. Hunt was born January 27, 1958, to Mr. and Mrs. Willie Hunt of Rochester, New York. After graduating from high school in May 1976, he served the next eight and a half years in the United States Air Force. Pastor Hunt married the former JoAnn White in May of 1977.
They joined the Mason Temple Church Of God In Christ under the leadership of Pastor James Lee. In 1981 where he served in various areas of the ministry. After faithful service under Pastor Lee, The Hunts transitioned to Maryland under the leadership of Bishop Stanford L. Butts and Grace Temple Church Of God In Christ.
In February 1990, Superintendent Hunt accepted the call as well as the name of the ministry New Community Church Of God In Christ along with the motto “Whosoever will let them come.” On March 14, 1990, after receiving the call of God, the church was launched. That evening 20 new members joined. Within 60 days, the church membership had increased to overcapacity in their small home.
Shortly after that, Pastor Hunt and the New Community Church family join the Great Maryland First Jurisdiction under the leadership of Bishop D. W Spann.
In June of 1992, the Lord spoke to Pastor Hunt and told him that
He was again going to bless him and instructed him to go into “uncharted areas,” and in August of that same year the Lord spoke and said, “Go to Charles County, Maryland.”
God lead him to 3040 Leonardtown Road. It was there that they carried out the work of the Lord for 8 1/2 years. In October 2000, God opened another door for ministry expansion, leading them to 12435C Mattwawoman Drive. For six years, five months and one day the ministry continued to thrive and assist the community. On February 16, 2017, God worked another miracle! New Community moved into their current place of worship, 3480 Catterton Place. God did "exceeding abundantly above all that we could ask or think".
Today, Pastor and Elect Lady Hunt are blessed to have three loving children: Maurice, Michael, and Kimberly; two God-given daughters-in-law: Alaina and Latashia; and their four beautiful grandchildren of whom they are so proud of: Simone, Stephen, Shane, and Salena.
Other Duties and Accomplishments
- Overseer of C. L. McCoy Memorial District
- Administrative Assistant of Community and Governmental Affairs to Bishop Joel Lyles, Prelate of the Greater Maryland First Jurisdiction
- President and Chief Executive Officer of the New Community Development Corporation
- Accomplished 6 years as a member of the Charles County Government’s Local Management Board
- Vice President for Coalition of Metropolitan Minister’s Alliance (COMMA).
- Fulfilled two terms as President of the Ministers Alliance of Charles County and Vicinity
- Current President of the United Ministers Coalitions of Southern Maryland